[Nix-dev] Troubles with console font

Kirill Elagin kirelagin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 12:32:29 CEST 2013

Hi, I'm coming back to NixOS after a rather long break.
Lots of things have changed, and the most notable of all the changes is
probably switching to systemd (luckily I've been using systemd for almost a
year on Gentoo)..

It seems that my console font doesn't get configured. The strange thing is
that keymap DOES get configured.
`systemctl show systemd-vconsole-setup.service | grep Wanted` shows nothing
and that makes me suspect that something is wrong, because normally it is
wanted by `sysinit.target`. It normally wants it through
`/usr/lib/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants` but it seems that this works
differently in NixOS and everything from `/usr/lib/systemd` is in
`/etc/systemd`. And `systemd-vconsole-setup.service` is not in
`/etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants`. Not surprisingly `systemctl
status systemd-vconsole-setup` shows that it is `inactive`. If I start it
manually, console font gets configured as expected.

So the questions are:
1. Why doesn't `sysinit.target` `want` `systemd-vconsole-setup.service`?
2. Who configures console keymap if `systemd-vconsole-setup.service` is not
started?

--
Кирилл Елагин