[Nix-dev] Let's merge 'stdenv-updates-gcc47' into 'stdenv-updates'

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue Jan 22 12:59:18 CET 2013

Hi Eelco,

 > Well, GCC updates tend to break many packages, so this will delay a
 > stdenv-updates merge even further. I would prefer merging
 > stdenv-updates into master first (to get the latest Glibc, and some
 > other stuff) and do GCC 4.7 after that.

could we build the stdenv-updates-gcc47 branch to get some empirical
data about the amount of packages that gcc 4.7.x would break? Maybe it's
not nearly as bad as you fear?

If it turns out that gcc 4.7.x causes lots of trouble, then we should
defer that update, of course. I just don't expect that to be an issue,
because I've been using the stdenv-updates-gcc47 branch locally on my
machine for a while, and it works fine here. Others have reported the
same finding.

Take care,
Peter