[Nix-dev] Oddity with Charon and AWS

Luke Vanderhart luke.vanderhart at logicblox.com
Wed Feb 27 14:41:25 CET 2013

Hi all,

Today I noticed some strange behavior with the project we're deploying
using Charon.

When I create a new deployment and run `charon deploy` for the first time,
I get a 403 Forbidden error from Amazon as it tries to create the instances:

error: EC2ResponseError: 403 Forbidden
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Response><Errors><Error><Code>UnauthorizedOperation</Code><Message>You are
not authorized to perform this
operation.</Message></Error></Errors><RequestID>473fc28f-b05d-4de7-be24-4e383dbabf8f</RequestID></Res
ponse>

The really odd thing is that if I run the exactly same `charon deploy`
again, it works.

My deployment includes an IAM role... I'm wondering if it's trying to
create resources using the new IAM role before the role is created, and
after the role is created it works the second time. That's just a
hypothesis, though; if someone with more knowledge of how Charon works
could chime in, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

-Luke