[Nix-dev] Nix 1.4 released

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Wed Feb 27 12:00:03 CET 2013

Hi,

On 26/02/13 21:25, Vladimír Čunát wrote:

> On 02/26/2013 02:46 PM, Eelco Dolstra wrote:
>>    * Language change: The expression "${./path} ..." now evaluates to a string
>>      instead of a path.
>
> That means the such a file isn't copied into the store, and is included as a
> plain "./path" string, etc. Right?

It *is* copied, so an expression "${./file.sh} foo" will evaluate to
"/nix/store/...-file.sh foo".  Previously it would try to copy "./file.sh foo",
which presumably doesn't exist.

> BTW, I believe the hardlink concept is one of worst original UNIX features. COW copy would make sense, but hardlinks are usually more trouble than worth.

Well, the main problem is that you can make hard links to files you don't own.
We should enable the kernel's hard link restrictions feature in NixOS...

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/