[Nix-dev] nixos-rebuild build-vm broken boot (because of CIFS)?

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 14:24:20 CET 2013

Hi,

I tried to run a "nixos-rebuild build-vm" machine today and discovered
that it failed to boot because of CIFS errors when mounting the nix
store:

  CIFS VFS: could not allocate crypto hmacsha256
  CIFS VFS: could not setup hash structures rc -2
  CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -2
  [...]
  mount: mounting //10.0.2.4/store on /mnt-root/nix/store failed:
Invalid argument

I searched the net a bit and found this:

https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/12711

At about half way down that page someone suggests that since linux 3.7
we have to build with CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA256. Anyone more familiar with
nix willing to take a look at that? Or give me some hints on how to
rebuild kernel with modified config?

BTW, has anyone else but me felt that "bisecting" in nixos is a bit
difficult when there is both nixos.git and nixpkgs.git? AFAIK,
nixos.git depends on nixpkgs.git (and not the other way around) but
the dependency is not really specified anywhere, is it? I see two ways
to improve the situation. 1) Create a toplevel git tree with nixos and
nixpkgs submodules or 2) merge both trees into one repo. Any thoughts
on that?

Best regards,
Bjørn Forsman