[Nix-dev] Node.JS package and build inputs

Sander van der Burg - EWI S.vanderBurg at tudelft.nl
Mon Feb 4 12:21:41 CET 2013

Hi everyone,

Lately, I'm using Node.js and I wanted to create a package that requires some of the NodeJS modules that we have defined in node-packages.nix. However, when I add them to buildInputs, they cannot be found.

Of course, I could set the NODE_PATH environment variable in every package expression that I write, but I find it more elegant when we can just add these to buildInputs.

Enabling this functionality is not that hard. We just have to provide a setup hook with Node.js that adds packages with a node_modules subdirectory to NODE_PATH. I can implement that hook quite easily.

What do you think?

-- Sander