[Nix-dev] PYTHONPATH

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sat Feb 2 03:35:13 CET 2013

Excerpts from Christopher Howard's message of Sat Feb 02 02:23:53 +0100 2013:
> Hi. Question for the python savvy users: I'm no export at python or
> nix, but I used nix to install some python stuff. I see .egg
> directories appearing in ~/nix-profile/lib/python2.7/site-packages,
> and it seems I can use a package if I set PYTHONPATH to
> ~/nix-profile/lib/python2.7/site-packages/packagename.egg. Is it
> possible to set PYTHONPATH (or some other variable) once so that all
> the packages are usable? I tried just setting the path to the
> site-packages directory, but that doesn't seem to work.

I don't get what you're saying:
1) "I can use a package if I set PYTHONPATH to ~/nix-profile/lib/python2.7/site-packages/packagename.egg"

2) "I tried just setting the path to the site-packages directory
  [..] but doesn't seem to work"

You know that you can pass multiple paths separated by :?
eg PYTHONPATH=a:b:c where a,b,c are paths to packages?

Also google for PYTHONUSERBASE.

In the past I felt running into .pth realted trouble, but probabli this
all is gone.

Marc Weber