[Nix-dev] Fwd: How about using torrent or sourceforge.net for iso download?

Mait mattengi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 07:44:45 CET 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mait <mattengi at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Subject: Re: [Nix-dev] How about using torrent or sourceforge.net for
iso download?
To: Eelco Dolstra <eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com>

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Eelco Dolstra
<eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 13/12/13 03:05, Mait wrote:
>
>> I'm downloading live iso image at 18KB/sec :-). Painfully slow.
>
> I get 1200 KB/s.  In any case, we should probably enable CloudFront for the
> /releases directory.
>
> --
> Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/

In my country, South Korea, Full 100Mbps up/down broadband service for
ordianry home user is very cheap and ubiquitous . Thus if I can get
just couple of seeders from Korea, 100Mbps download speed is
guaranteed. CDN is everywhere. :-)

We don't need to run torrent daemon or tracker service for seeding.
Just add official download url to .torrent file as webseed url. Then
upload .torrent file to nixos.org download page.

Try these torrents(magnet links).

graphical-x86_64 :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzunxqb2cie90yj/nixos-graphical-13.10.35462.b44ee4f-x86_64-linux.iso.torrent

minimal-x86_64 :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/idj5kvz9vl6ow2p/nixos-minimal-13.10.35462.b44ee4f-x86_64-linux.iso.torrent

Think about torrents in addition to CDN.

Thanks.

--
Mait