[Nix-dev] how to proceed the best

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 11:28:38 CET 2013

On 7 December 2013 11:03, Roelof Wobben <rwobben at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Im at a point I  build against the x-updates branch.
>
> What's the best way to make this work so I can work on my own branches and
> make the new derivations work,
> and keep the x-updates up-to-date.

I don't know how familiar you are with git, but I would say "base your
topic branches on the x-updates branch".

For new branches, make your topic branch directly from x-updates:

git checkout -b mytopic origin/x-updates

If you already have one (or more) topic branches based on master, you
can rebase them onto x-updates like this:

git checkout mytopic
git branch --set-upstream-to=origin/x-updates
git rebase -i origin/x-updates

The last command will open an editor where you can choose what to do
with the commits that currently is in mytopic that is not reachable
from origin/x-updates. Since this may include more than your own
commits, you'll want to remove unrelated commits and only keep yours.
When you are done editing, close the editor and git will do the
rebase.

If something goes wrong during rebase (merge conflict), you can abort
"git rebase --abort". To go back further in time, see "git reflog".

To keep you topic branches up to date, just use "git pull --rebase".

Best regards,
Bjørn Forsman