[Nix-dev] Recommended way of running nix on mac osx

Zef Hemel zef.hemel at logicblox.com
Tue Dec 3 10:02:13 CET 2013

Those instructions are fairly elaborate. If you're just interested in Nix
(and not NixOps) just chown -R /nix to your user. That's what I always do.
If you do want to do fancy NixOps stuff, have a look at
https://github.com/zefhemel/nixops-mac-setup which basically automates and
simplifies the instructions linked to by Malcolm.

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 8:06 AM, Malcolm Matalka <mmatalka at gmail.com> wrote:

> These directions show how to set it up for a non root user
>

> http://functional-orbitz.blogspot.se/2013/05/setting-up-nixops-on-mac-os-x-with.html
> On Dec 3, 2013 4:57 AM, "Matt Paine" <mattzerah at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys. I have bit the bullet and installed nix on my mac, following the
>> instructions from http://nixos.org/nix/manual/#idp24450384. I'll note
>> that I was root when I did this. So all the files created etc were owned by
>> root, and the .nix-profile directory is located in /root/.nix-profile. I
>> have added the source line to my /root/.profile file. This all works really
>> well, when I am root.
>>
>> When I am a normal user, I cannot 'source' the root profile directory (as
>> it is hidden and I am unwilling to change the ownership of my root
>> directory or any of its contents available to any other user). I ran the
>> 'nix-finish-install' as a normal user, thinking it might cause a new set of
>> profiles etc to be created for my user. It failed with the following
>> error...
>>
>> matts-air:pkgs matt$ nix-finish-install
>> error: setting synchronous mode: unable to open database file
>> /usr/bin/nix-finish-install: unable to register valid paths
>>
>> ... which I assume is because /nix/var is writable only by root. However
>> the /nix/store directory seems to have the sticky bit set for users, so
>> this would indicate that it should work for this directory.
>>
>> Any hints on how to be able to use nix for my normal mac user?
>>
>> Thank you once again.
>> Matt.

-- Zef