[Nix-dev] Recommended way of running nix on mac osx

Matt Paine mattzerah at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 04:57:16 CET 2013

Hi Guys. I have bit the bullet and installed nix on my mac, following the
instructions from http://nixos.org/nix/manual/#idp24450384. I'll note that
I was root when I did this. So all the files created etc were owned by
root, and the .nix-profile directory is located in /root/.nix-profile. I
have added the source line to my /root/.profile file. This all works really
well, when I am root.

When I am a normal user, I cannot 'source' the root profile directory (as
it is hidden and I am unwilling to change the ownership of my root
directory or any of its contents available to any other user). I ran the
'nix-finish-install' as a normal user, thinking it might cause a new set of
profiles etc to be created for my user. It failed with the following
error...

matts-air:pkgs matt$ nix-finish-install
error: setting synchronous mode: unable to open database file
/usr/bin/nix-finish-install: unable to register valid paths

... which I assume is because /nix/var is writable only by root. However
the /nix/store directory seems to have the sticky bit set for users, so
this would indicate that it should work for this directory.

Any hints on how to be able to use nix for my normal mac user?

Thank you once again.
Matt.