[Nix-dev] What monitoring tools do you currently prefer?

Rob Vermaas rob.vermaas at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 11:47:55 CEST 2013

Hi Matthijs,

> Tools like sysstat/sar come to mind, but as these have been around for
> eons, there might be more modern alternatives that I don't know about
> yet.

If you have a small amount of servers, you could try using DataDog
(http://www.datadoghq.com/), up to 5 machines are for free. It is very
easy to use, there is a NixOS module for it. I have used DataDog for
EC2 machines for which they have an integration available to allow
getting performance information that EC2 offers. Perhaps they have
something similar for your cloud provider as well.

If you have more machines, it might be worth to switching to a system
like Zabbix. Zabbix should also be relatively easy to set up in NixOS,
there is an example in the nixos-org-configuration repository of the
NixOS organization on github.

Cheers,
Rob