[Nix-dev] pkgs/lib/licenses.nix: strings or attrsets?

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 21:48:10 CEST 2013

Hi,

pkgs/lib/licenses.nix is currently a mix of strings and attrsets. This
causes nixpkgs-lint to incorrectly say that some packages lack a
license, even though they don't:

$ nixpkgs-lint
[...]
babeltrace: Lacks a license
bmon: Lacks a license
diffuse: Lacks a license

These packages use licenses.mit and licenses.bsd2, both of which are
defined as attrsets instead of strings.

Also, I've experienced that hydra channel updates break because of
this string vs attrset mismatch:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.nixos/11267

Eelco, commit https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/commit/80213cbb051f2e172be20c03e51069f122d8bb6c
changed some (but not all) of the licenses from attrsets to strings.
What is the plan for the rest of the licenses? Should I make a
pull-request to change everything to strings?

Best regards,
Bjørn Forsman