[Nix-dev] cannot build nova

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 08:04:03 CEST 2013

On 08/17/2013 01:50 AM, Tim Barbour wrote:
> Thank you. I tried prefetching it, but it makes no difference. The result of
> prefetching goes in different store location to the one it is looking for.
> Perhaps the package has the wrong hash for python-novaclient-2012.1.tar.gz ?

It does look like the hash is different. That strange, but upstream
sometimes change tarballs without changing the version, unfortunately
(it's really ugly and relatively insecure).

> What is the process for updating the package ?

Often it's enough to change just the version and hash in the expression.
Here it seems that dependencies have changed as well, it reports missing
stuff if I do

-  name = "novaclient-2012.1";
+  name = "novaclient-2.14.1";
    namePrefix = "";

    src = fetchurl {
      url =
"http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/p/python-novaclient/python-${name}.tar.gz";
-    md5 = "8f53a308e08b2af4645281917be77ffc";
+    sha256 = "0cicdr3qlhz2wnhi89kmp709if363yz4bdvsjsr9507c7mw29v0v";
    };

I know very little about python and nothing about nova at all (or how we
package pypi stuff with nix), so I would rather leave this package to
others (than me).

Vlada