[Nix-dev] Fwd: Cannot upgrade old NixOS

Daniel Hlynskyi abcz2.uprola at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 17:44:15 CEST 2013

> As Vladimir pointed out, your version of Nix is too old.

Yes, something like a year.

> The easiest solution is probably to install the latest version of Nix:
>  http://hydra.nixos.org/job/nix/trunk/build.x86_64-linux/latest
> E.g.
>  $ nix-install-package --non-interactive --url \
> http://hydra.nixos.org/build/5636025/nix/pkg/nix-1.6pre3181_8e74c0b-x86_64-linux.nixpkg
>
> Hopefully nixos-rebuild will then work.  Afterwards you can do "nix-env -e nix".

Thanks, this command didn't fail and downloaded new packages. BUT new package
binaries are NOT RUNNABLE. Bash says that. So now I have runnable (but
old) nix-env
in one shell, and not runnable in all new shell tabs. The problem is
not only with
nix-env, perl is not runnable also.

old runnable nix-env hosts in `/run/current-system/sw/bin/nix-env`
new nix-env hosts in `/nix/var/nix/profiles/default/bin/nix-env`