[Nix-dev] setup.sh, addToSearchPath - only add if directory exists?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Apr 28 16:57:41 CEST 2013

Excerpts from Peter Simons's message of Sun Apr 28 15:35:31 +0200 2013:
> personally, I don't see any benefit in filtering non-existent search
> paths. Whether these paths are included in the environment or not
> doesn't affect the build either way.
There are other use cases such as PYTHONPATH or GI_TYPELIB_PATH (gtk3
related) etc.

Well - yes - you can manage them "manually". configure scripts check
that the dependencies exist, and eg python requires them at runtime now.

gtk3 introduces an automatic way to derive scripting glue code from xml
files (which is what this GI_TYPELIB_PATH and those .gir and .typelib
files are about) - thus you also have to wrap bin/* executables in order
to make them work.

I agree that there is no difference looking at CFLAGS/LDFLAGS env vars

It doesn't make sense to populate GI_TYPELIB_PATH with dependencies like
"gnused". A path check would do the right thing in most cases IMHO.

Thus if nobody objects I may propose it for x-updates

Marc Weber