[Nix-dev] LVM troubles

Rickard Nilsson rickard.nilsson at telia.com
Fri Apr 26 08:27:27 CEST 2013

Den 2013-04-22 13:51:28 skrev Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viric at viric.name>:

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 12:04:58PM +0200, Rickard Nilsson wrote:
>> Den 2013-04-22 08:26:25 skrev Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viric at viric.name>:
>> >Well, old generations did work, didn't they?
>>
>> Yep, but it took me a while to find an old generation that worked. And
>> when
>> the system got up it was heavily out-of-date from before the reboot.
>> Of course I could easily solve that with a "nixos-rebuild switch". Now
>> I'm
>> going to try to see what differs between the booted and the running
>> version,
>> with regards to initrd and kernel modules.
>
> Yes, please write to the list about details. :) Thank you!

The problem was this: I had changed some mountpoints from 'device =
"LABEL=x"' to 'label = "x"'. The difference is that NixOS writes
"/dev/disk/by-label/x" instead of "LABEL=x" into fstab. Somehow, all
/dev/disk/by-label/-devices don't always seem to be in place in early
boot, and it doesn't seem to help that NixOS waits for them. Some of the
devices are mounted just fine, but not others. When I switched back to
using "LABEL=" everything worked again.

So, it had nothing to do with LVM or RAID, and was not caused by changes
in NixOS, but in my file system config.

   / Rickard