[Nix-dev] Discussion: env vars as glue

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 21:41:40 CEST 2013

On 04/16/2013 05:39 PM, Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 12:28:05AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viric at viric.name> skribis:
>>
>>> What uses do you have for:
>>> ALSA_PLUGIN_DIRS
>>> GST_PLUGIN_PATH
>>> MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH
>>> QTWEBKIT_PLUGIN_PATH
>>> QT_PLUGIN_PATH
>>> STRIGI_PLUGIN_PATH
>>
>> I think fundamentally plug-ins are about dynamic composition, whereas
>> Nix favors static composition.  It’s a shock of cultures.  Yet, we
>> probably want a bit of both.
>
> So is the firefox and its plugins, and we have a happy solution for that. :)
> I propose to extend that.

+1 Exactly, by wrapping this can be done *without recompilation*.

Note: for example my pidgin refuses to start unless I clear the
GST_PLUGINS_PATH var... perhaps some broken ABI, I don't know and I
don't care... on NixOS we should ensure that such things can not happen.
(It's doing this for almost two years now!)

Vlada