[Nix-dev] unable to delete a store path

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Wed Sep 26 22:32:19 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 26/09/12 08:07, Mathijs Kwik wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Shea Levy <shea at shealevy.com> wrote:
>> If you do give up, before manually deleting it try nix-store --delete
>> --ignore-liveness. That bypasses gcroots but fails if there's another path
>> in the path's referrers (so it shouldn't fail in your case, but it might
>> since this seems like a bug).
>
> Now it gets even weirder. I tried a normal --delete again and it worked!

Is it possible that when you first tried to delete it, the path was still in use
by a running process?  The garbage collector uses open files as GC roots.  These
do not show up in "nix-store -q --roots".

See https://github.com/NixOS/nix/blob/master/scripts/find-runtime-roots.pl.in

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/