[Nix-dev] nix-channel --update

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Tue Sep 18 18:15:08 CEST 2012

I found the problem.
My own channel server replied "Unauthorized" to the
$url/binary-cache-url ping, which ends up in channels/binary-caches.

I dived a bit into the new binary-cache stuff. It's really useful :)

I see that manifests become a bit optional with the new nix-push too,
and they are no longer retrieved when a channel advertises
binary-cache-url.
Are you planning to get rid of them in the end or are they still useful?

One use of them I still see is for nix-generate-patches, at least for
the compare-phase. The patches themselves can probably fit into the
.narinfo somehow.