[Nix-dev] [Nix-commits] [NixOS/nixos] 70e6e1: xsession: source /etc/profile at the beginning of ...

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Fri Nov 9 17:33:12 CET 2012

Hi Eelco,

 >> xsession: source /etc/profile at the beginning of the script
 >
 > Hm, not sure if this is a good idea. Won't this prevent child shells
 > (e.g. konsole / xterm shells) from reloading /etc/profile (due to
 > $__ETC_PROFILE_DONE being set)?

yes, that is true.

 > I.e., you'll have to log out to have environment changes take effect,
 > which is annoying.

What do you suggest we do about that? I two options:

 a) Unset __ETC_PROFILE_DONE in xsession to allow re-reading of the
    profile script, or

 b) duplicate the relevant settings from /etc/profile in xsession.

Neither solution is particularly nice, though. Personally, I prefer (a)
because I don't know what settings are "revelant" for implementing (b).

Take care,
Peter