[Nix-dev] using my own xorg.conf

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Sun May 27 07:40:43 CEST 2012

Hi James,

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 6:19 AM, James Cook <james.cook at utoronto.ca> wrote:
> NixOS currently generates an xorg.conf file based on various options
> services.xserver.*.  Unfortunately these options are not quite
> flexible enough to support my preferred configuration[0]. For the past
> few months, I've gotten around this by doing two things:

Where have you look for information, this means that you did not found
the right answer before making attempts to patch NixOS, which exactly
why I introduce NixOS module system ;-)

> 0. Add "services.xserver.config = builtins.readFile ./xorg.conf;" to
> configuration.nix (referring to my own xorg.conf)
> 1. Patch modules/services/x11/xserver.nix to remove
> "services.xserver.config = '' ... ''". If I don't do this, then the
> resulting x.org configuration consists of the default configuration
> concatenated with my configuration.

Have you tried  mkOverride  ?  Options are by default merged based on
the type of the option. strings are concatenated, but mkOverride is
getting rid of al other definitions and replace them by your current
one.  So, at best you should never have to modify NixOS files.

services.xserver.config = pkgs.lib.mkOverride 50 (builtins.readFile
./xorg.conf);

> I would prefer to replace step 1 with something simple like:
> 1. set "services.xserver.generateConfig = false;" in configuration.nix

This does not seems necessary anymore.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Pierron