[Nix-dev] What kind of "install" do we have in freebsd stdenv?

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Fri May 11 22:11:22 CEST 2012

Hi James,

 > FreeBSD has its own core software, with some differences from GNU
 > coreutils: for example, tar by default writes to a tape drive instead
 > of stdout, and the default /bin/sh is simpler than bash.

thank you for the explanation. I guess, what I wonder is: should the feature
set of the tools available in *stdenv* vary from one platform to the other?
Wouldn't it be easier to write robust build scripts if 'install' would
always understand -D? In other words, shouldn't coreutils be part of stdenv
on FreeBSD?

Take care,
Peter