[Nix-dev] handling /usr/lib/foo-plugins

Sergey Mironov ierton at gmail.com
Thu May 10 23:21:31 CEST 2012

Hello list. I've tried to update zathura viewer
(http://pwmt.org/projects/zathura/) from 0.01 to 0.1.2 but discovered
that it is not that easy. Upstream developers decided to split the
project into a GUI and a set of .so libraries (plugins for pdf- djvu-
ps- etc). Those libraries are to be located in a shared dir
(/usr/lib/zathura by default) and this is a problem.

My idea is to write a separate expression keeping a single directory,
and then pass it as a dependency to gui and plugin's expressions. But
that means that each plugin will write files to a location which is
beyond it's path in nix store, which should be against the rules of
nix. Hopefully , this situation is known. Are there some guidelines on
howto deal with it or maybe existing 'shared dir expressions' like
that I can use as examples?

Thanks, Sergey.