[Nix-dev] Improving the Developer Experience in the Nix Community

Bryce L Nordgren bnordgren at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 00:17:35 CEST 2012

 > Continuing with a Java theme: the Java Advanced Imaging interfaces have a
> > (default) pure java implementation as well as a native (accelerated)
> > implementation.
>
> How should this be solved? Try find answers yourself. Its the same
> problem M.R. talked about if buildfarm uses optimiziations your computer
> doesn't support (or let it be a kernel not matching glibc. Then suddenly
> touch does no longer work).

It was my understanding that this thread is about articulating the things
perceived to be lacking in Nix which could serve as fodder for future
development. These longer term things are not likely to be quickly answered.

...and it's not the same thing at all. The Java app should only have to
specify that JAI is present. There is zero benefit to rebuilding the app if
the JAI implementation is switched. Rebuilding doesn't fix
links, rebuilding doesn't change the application binary in any way except
for the timestamp. Rebuilding in this circumstance is a pure waste of time,
producing exactly the same thing you had at the beginning.

...and Nix doesn't have a way to express that. That's the key point for
longer term development.