[Nix-dev] Improving the Developer Experience in the Nix Community

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Wed Jun 27 16:32:33 CEST 2012

Hi folks,

Shea Levy <shea at shealevy.com> writes:
> That's why I opened this thread, because we have people with different
> values but no one is really coming out and saying "this is what I
> want, this is why what's here now is bad".

I am more or less a bystander and not really active, but this caught my
attention (and the thread above). Above all, the main reason I am not
active is that it seems that submitting patches is a hit-or-miss
affair. They tend to get blackholed about as often as not. So I don't
submit any: I just locally fork any package that I need to change, and
in addition I keep a number of extra packages that way; basically, I
maintain a private overlay in /etc/nixos.

Now if there was a simple and documented way to submit patches
(*especially* new packages) that would actually work, it would probably
make my life easier, even as a bystander, by reducing the size of the
overlay significantly.

Btw., I am planning a not entirely small deployment of NixOS later this
week, so I would really like to hear something positive about
sustainability. (Well, there's still time to call it off and stick to
Debian, although I do like NixOS more on general principles.)

Yours,
   Petr

--
id' Ash = Ash; id' Dust = Dust; id' _ = undefined