[Nix-dev] Commit access

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Wed Jun 27 02:11:40 CEST 2012

Hi all,

Since there appears to be strong^Wpassionate support for having direct commit
access to the main Nixpkgs/NixOS repositories, it's clear we should stick to the
existing development model at the moment.  So if you want commit access, please
let me know your GitHub username and I'll add you to the committers.  Commit
access does require having contributed good patches in the past.  (This
obviously includes existing SVN committers.)

This, however, should not be reason to not use the abilities of a distributed
version control system.  Changes of a more experimental nature should go into
your own fork, or a branch of the main repositories (like the stdenv branch).
For instance, the systemd-based NixOS I'm hacking on is obviously experimental,
so it goes into a separate tree:

  https://github.com/edolstra/nixos/tree/systemd

Patches can be made available through GitHub pull requests or by sending patches
or pull requests to the nix-dev mailing list.  If you send patches directly,
please use "git format-patch".  Note that in the absence of a patch queue
manager, there is a possibility that nix-dev patches end up being ignored, so
GitHub pull requests are preferred.

For "small" changes (like package updates), do use "git rebase" if necessary to
prevent cluttering history.  When merging longer-lived branches, however, having
a merge commit ("git merge --no-ff") is preferred to accurately reflect the
development history.  (Yeah, this is debatable...)

Don't do "git push -f".

Use the standard Git commit message format, i.e., start every commit message
with a one-line description like

  firefox: Updated to 14.0

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://www.st.ewi.tudelft.nl/~dolstra/