[Nix-dev] Announcing free-nix: the free Linux distribution based on the Nix package manager

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Wed Jun 27 01:26:02 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 26/06/12 12:02, Peter Simons wrote:

> Eelco revoked all access of all regular contributors without prior
> warning.

The Git migration has been going on for a while, so in that sense the actual
switchover shouldn't be *that* unexpected.  I then asked for input on the
desired development model, in which I made it clear that continuing the existing
policy was an option if people want that.

Yes, we should have decided this beforehand, but in all the years of
bikeshedding over what DVCS to use, nobody bothered to say what kind of
development model they wanted (even though I asked!).  Using a completely
centralised model with a DVCS is hardly the most obvious choice; nevertheless,
you chose to interpret the mere suggestion of using a Linux kernel-like model as
a personal affront.  That's really not necessary.

If you think I was moving too slowly (a fair enough criticism), some prodding
via email or IRC would be more effective. :-)

For the record: that's not at all what I told you.  What I wrote was:

> A completely decentralised policy is a
> completely legitimate option; that's what the Linux kernel uses, after all, and
> it works for them.  But like I said, that seems rather cumbersome for Nixpkgs,
> so I'm more inclined towards the centralised/hybrid model.  And in that case
> you'll obviously have commit access.

In other words, I made it clear that giving you should have commit access.  So
if you'd bother to read what I wrote and were slightly less inclined to take
offense at perceived slights, you could have saved yourself some effort.

Also, please read

  http://producingoss.com/en/forks.html#forks-initiating

and ask yourself if you've exhausted all possibilities before starting a fork.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://www.st.ewi.tudelft.nl/~dolstra/