[Nix-dev] A bunch of patches to nixpkgs and questions

Kirill Elagin kirelagin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 20:52:18 CEST 2012

2012/6/26 Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de>

> Excerpts from Kirill Elagin's message of Tue Jun 26 20:05:21 +0200 2012:
> > Just to note: I don't get this gist idea either. Gist is, you know,
> > slightly enhanced pastebin, and using it for collecting contributions
> looks
> > weird.
> Yes - I'm abusing it :) But its fine to understand whether the idea
> works - to have one place to push unfinished work to without asking for
> commit access. That's whats it is for.

That's what GItHub with all its forkery and, in general, git, was made for.

> Its meant for all those small changes which are no worth creating pull
> requests for, too.

I can't imagine a change not worth creating a pull request. Creating a pull
request is two clicks, accepting it is one click.
For those, who don't like web interfaces and all this eye-candy, `git
format-patch` still works.

Have a look at this repo:
> https://github.com/msanders/snipmate.vim/network
>
> and you may understand that its not the view helping you to understand
> what's going on - what is ready to be merged etc. That's what I don't
> want to happen.
>
> This repo is a snippet engine for Vim - and that old version also
> contained the snippets. Thus 300 people forked to add 3 lines of
> personal snippet stuff. If you're the maintainer looking for changes on
> the core engine it may take longer than it should.

What's wrong with this? It's clear that using github repo as a catalog of
stuff (say, snippets) is wrong. But that's perfectly fine to fork a repo of
some useful code and enhance it for yourself, thanks to git, which makes it
very simple to keep your enhanced code synced with changes made by
upstream. If you really like your changes, you propose them to the upstream
by sending a pull request and it is accepted or not. Easy!
If you are an upstream, fork graph is good to cherry-pick nice changes from
authors who don't bother sending pull-requests. Large network is a good
thing as it means your project is successful and you have lots of indirect
contributors.
GitHub: Social Coding! =^_^=

--
Кирилл Елагин