[Nix-dev] A bunch of patches to nixpkgs and questions

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue Jun 26 20:03:23 CEST 2012

Hi Jan,

your patch is now available here:

  https://github.com/free-nix/pkgs/tree/malakhovski/master

I committed it into a branch because compilers.patch causes a massive
re-build, so I'd hesitate to place that change into the master branch
without some additional testing.

By the way, do you have a user on Github? I'll give you access to the
repository in case you have more changes that you'd like to share.

 > I saw something like "nix-env -iA haskellPackages.xmonad" somewhere,
 > but it fails for me with error: attribute `haskellPackages' in
 > selection path `haskellPackages' not found

You can run the command

  nix-env -qaP \* | grep xmonad

to see all variants of xmonad that are available in Nixpkgs. On my
machine, the output looks something like this:

  haskellPackages_ghc6104.xmonad                       haskell-xmonad-ghc6.10.4-0.10
  haskellPackages_ghc6123.xmonad                       haskell-xmonad-ghc6.12.3-0.10
  haskellPackages_ghc704.xmonad                        haskell-xmonad-ghc7.0.4-0.10
  haskellPackages.xmonad                               haskell-xmonad-ghc7.4.1-0.10
  haskellPackages_ghc741_no_profiling.xmonad           haskell-xmonad-ghc7.4.1-0.10
  haskellPackages_ghc741_profiling.xmonad              haskell-xmonad-ghc7.4.1-0.10-profiling
  haskellPackages_ghc742.xmonad                        haskell-xmonad-ghc7.4.2-0.10

The first column shows the complete attribute path that you can use with
"nix-env -iA" to install the package.

Take care,
Peter