[Nix-dev] Announcing free-nix: the free Linux distribution based on the Nix package manager

Phil Hagelberg phil at hagelb.org
Tue Jun 26 19:32:15 CEST 2012

Shea Levy <shea at shealevy.com> writes:

> Hi Peter,
>
> On Jun 26, 2012, at 6:45 AM, Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to> wrote:
>
>> - pkgs         is a database of free software packages that can be installed
>>                with the Nix package manager.
>>

> Will proprietary or non-GPL'd software be allowed to be packaged in
> free-nix? Or, what do you mean by the 'free' in free-nix?

It's always bothered me that nix doesn't appear to have anything like
the DFSG. (http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines) Asking for
a package like Mozilla and having the non-free Adobe Flash plugin
installed behind my back was a bit of an unpleasant shock for me. I
understand that there are those who want that kind of thing, but putting
it in the main package source intermixed with the free software makes it
harder for me to trust nix.