[Nix-dev] Announcing free-nix: the free Linux distribution based on the Nix package manager

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue Jun 26 18:02:44 CEST 2012

Hi Andres,

 > If you're unhappy with the way Nix is being run, why not bring it up
 > and try to convince people to change the overall policy [...]?

where exactly could anyone bring anything up so that "people" change
NixOS policy?

Who exactly has the ability to change NixOS policy?

What exactly *is* NixOS's policy?

Eelco revoked all access of all regular contributors without prior
warning. Until it suddenly happened, there was not the slightest
indication that we would be losing access to the infrastructure that we
have helped build over the last couple of years. Is that in your opinion
the proper way to handle a community project?

 > I could somehow understand it if your decision was perceived by me as
 > the outcome of a failed attempt of convincing the project to go in
 > this direction, but afaics, you haven't even tried.

You shouldn't jump to conclusions. I have expressed my dissatisfaction
with Eelco's nontransparent decisions to him in private e-mail. However,
he brushed me off, and told me that I don't need commit rights to NixOS
because we have a distributed VCS now, so I can commit wherever I want
instead of being restricted to his repository. Go figure.

Take care,
Peter