[Nix-dev] Improving the Developer Experience in the Nix Community

Shea Levy shea at shealevy.com
Tue Jun 26 17:28:07 CEST 2012

For me, the two biggest issues I see are:

	a) Lack of clear documentation of policy. The closest thing we have is the nixpkgs manual, but it's not enough. As a newcomer to a project (and even sometimes as a veteran), I want to be able to easily find answers to questions like "how should I format my code?", "should I submit a patch or a pull request?", "how do I find out who is the person in charge of the bits I'm touching?", "I have commit access and have made a big change in a branch, how long should I wait after announcing to merge it?", etc. Of course, documentation is frustrating to write, always incomplete, and time-consuming to keep up-to-date, but I think in the long run that effort will be worth it. I'd be more than happy to write up the docs if I could get some measure of assurance that those with the authority to approve such documents will be willing to answer questions I might have about what our policy actually is :)

	b) Lack of a way to ensure that issues/contributions/etc. come to some form of a resolution. Resolution could be "we'll never take this" or "it needs improvement" or "merged" or "we see the problem but don't have time to fix it ourselves" or any other number of things, I just want there to be some level of assurance that if I put the ball in someone else's court it will come back to me. "no reply is no OK" might work for this, but there have been some times where it's taken weeks to get a reply so there's no clear sense of when the final "no" has been delivered. I think one solution to this is to divide the 'responsibility of response' for the various aspects of the NixOS projects to those who have proven their ability and interest in that area, somewhat akin to Linux's maintainers. Those accepting such responsibility would be committing to looking for and responding (or delegating that someone else respond) to requests in their field in a timely manner (a few days I think), and such responsibility would be reassigned after several lapses in response. I think the more divided up this is the easier it will be for everyone involved, but that requires trusting more and more people with the keys to various parts of the kingdom. There are numerous reasonable hierarchies that could be put into place here, and I imagine each individual with some level of responsibility would be allowed to subdivide it himself how he wants. I'd be happy to facilitate the dividing (looking through commit histories and suggesting people to be in charge of various areas) and take on my share of the response responsibility, again assuming some level of assurance that those with the ability to actually enact this idea will be willing to take part in the conversation.

Cheers,
Shea