[Nix-dev] Nixpkgs and NixOS moved to GitHub

Shea Levy shea at shealevy.com
Thu Jun 21 14:39:05 CEST 2012

Hi Eelco,

On Jun 21, 2012, at 12:51 AM, Eelco Dolstra <eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've completed the migration of Nixpkgs and NixOS to GitHub.

Hooray!

>  Please use GitHub's integrated bug tracker.  It has the advantage that you can
> refer to or close issues from commit messages (e.g. a message containing the
> string "Fixes #21." will automatically close issue #21).

Can issue creation and update be made to trigger an email to nix-dev?

> A hybrid policy is of course also possible.  I.e. uncontroversial changes (such
> as minor package upgrades in Nixpkgs) can go directly into the master, while
> other things should be done in a branch and submitted for review.  This of
> course depends on people exercising good judgment :-)

I like this one best, especially if we start a list of guidelines for when to push vs when to pull request. Presumably those with commit access have already had some level of vetting for judgement, and it can always be revoked.

~Shea