[Nix-dev] Python bindings to librsvg or gnome-desktop

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Tue Jun 19 18:29:40 CEST 2012

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:12:31 +0200, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:
> gnome support is only rudimentary (enough to make some packages work).
>
> Look at configure output of pygtk etc (force a rebuild [1] and do nix-store
> -l $out-path)
>
> If you start working on python stuff please be aware that I feel that
> the current PYTHONPATH implementation in nixpkgs is not enough. Some
> packages such as virtinst would require heavy patching - others do not.
>
> For that reason I've tried an alternative implementation introducing
> NIX_PYTHON_SITES: https://github.com/MarcWeber/nixpkgs/blob/experimental/nix-python-sites/.topmsg

And there is:

https://github.com/chaoflow/nixpkgs

Which works very similar, except:

- might not cover all use cases NIX_PYTHON_SITES does (needs to be
  evaluated)

- uses PYTHONPATH only

- leaves the python site.py as is, but uses a customized site.py during
  installs and allows the user to install this customized site.py to
  make python packages see all other python packages (of the same python
  version) within a profile.

> But this might be totally unrelated to your issues.
>
> > When creating a Nix expression that depends on python packages, Is it
> > more desirable to depend on pythonPackages or the inherit the
> > pythonPackages.* subpackages as necessary?
> I don't know. I personally tried packaging everything found on PyPi -
> but that index is not that well maintained - a lot of libraries are
> missing. So for now I expect a lot of manual work to be done on python
> packages.
>
> The common case seems to be that packages which have lot's of C
> dependencies (such as gtk) are more likely to be put into top-level
> files. Whether this is desired behaviour - I don't know exactly.

I think all python packages should be available via pythonXYPackages. In
addition some python programs, like offlineimap, could be available
top-level, using the default python version (currently 2.7).

> If you publish your patches I may have a look at it.

+1

regards
florian
--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC