[Nix-dev] Patch for pythonPackages.numpy

Konrad Hinsen konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net
Mon Jun 18 17:15:20 CEST 2012

Florian Friesdorf writes:

 > Could you try whether the attached patch also solves building on OS X
 > (Konrad) and whether matplotlib builds for you (Peter)?

Since I recently upgraded to MacOS X 10.7, I decided to reinstall Nix (1.0)
and Nixpkgs from scratch to see how it works out. I downloaded the
python branch you mentioned and added your patch for numpy. Then I typed

   nix-build -A pythonPackages.numpy ./pkgs/top-level/all-packages.nix

This leads to a failure in building libsigsegv-2.10 (due to a failing
test), which is a dependency of gawk-4.0.0, which in turn is a
dependency of stdenv. libsigsegv 2.10 is supposed to work fine under
MacOSX 10.7, so I suppose the failure is due to the build environment
in nixpkgs.

I don't think this is related in any way at all to your patch or to
the python branch, but it's pretty effective at preventing me from
building numpy.

 > Maybe the ATLAS stuff in the patch is guilty?

Well possible. Getting ATLAS right is not a trivial job.

Konrad.