[Nix-dev] Firefox 13 issue

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viric at viric.name
Sun Jun 17 23:22:34 CEST 2012

On Sat, Jun 09, 2012 at 08:54:23PM +0400, Kirill Elagin wrote:
> Ooops, I should have looked through the commit log… Eelco mentioned this in
> commit#f677edf57f71cf0c8c9e0906d26b4304e4213ef8<https://github.com/nbp/nixpkgs-2/commit/f677edf57f71cf0c8c9e0906d26b4304e4213ef8>
> .
> Still would be nice is someone using Firefox managed to find some spare
> time to resolve this…

I looked at it today, and I find it really weird. First I thought 13.0.1 could
fix it, but no.

Then I run the plugin-container with LD_DEBUG=all, and it simply shows as if it
couldn't find the malloc_message symbol where it is, plugin-container:
processing: ./plugin-container (lazy)
     22187:     symbol=malloc_message;  lookup in file=./plugin-container [0]
     22187:     symbol=malloc_message;  lookup in file=/nix/store/cj7a81wsm1ijwwpkks3725661h3263p5-glibc-2.13/lib/l
ibpthread.so.0 [0]

I also don't know why would the dynamic linker interfere with this plugin-container.
Then I saw that the binary in xulrunner "xulrunner-stub" has that symbol
properly resolved just fine, iiuc, looking at LD_DEBUG=all too. Comparing
xulrunner-stub and plugin-container readelf outputs, I could not see any
relevant difference.

I thought it could be a problem in our old binutils, and I tried disabling ICF
(--disable-icf at xulrunner), but the result is the same. So, I wonder, maybe
it's a problem in glibc ld.so? Maybe a problem of patchelf (it is patchelfed,
xulrunner-stub not).

Regards,
Lluís.