[Nix-dev] Emacs 24

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Sat Jun 16 22:17:52 CEST 2012

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 00:35:11 +0200, ludo at gnu.org (Ludovic =?iso-8859-1?Q?Court=E8s?=) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to> skribis:
>
> > Hi Ludo,
> >
> >  > [ImageMagick] is used for image-mode, image-dired, and Doc-view,
> >  > among others, so it needs to stay IMO.
> >
> > are you sure that this information is accurate? I just built an Emacs24
> > without the ImageMagick dependency, and still all these features seem to
> > work fine.
>
> Actually, I noticed (and this is veeery important, no matter what Eelco
> thinks of me ;-)) that DocView in Emacs24+ImageMagick is much faster and
> snappier than it used to be without that dependency.  Grepping for
> ImageMagick in doc-view.el confirms that it’s being leveraged.
>
> > How about this: we remove those additional dependencies that were added
> > relative to Emacs23, and then we wait for someone to speak up, saying
> > that there is an actual use case that doesn't work anymore?
>
> I’m speaking up already!  :-)

Size of various emacs closures (nixos, x86_64)

du -sh $(nix-store -qR <emacs-store-path>)

emacs 24 currently (no imagemagick, no librsvg):
/nix/store/d4xddjkmyrdkinwzs0bz3q4f3z6jfs27-emacs-24.1
572 MB

emacs 24 with librsvg:
/nix/store/5039z6ann4rrs9sf7xh8agfhrv4n8ncb-emacs-24.1
575 MB (current + 3MB)

emacs 24 with normal imagemagick:
/nix/store/xkjq7y6lpjnphw5qn2j79iannqy4p7i3-emacs-24.1
653 MB (current + 81MB)

emacs 24 with normal imagemagick and librsvg:
/nix/store/g1ys1lmdwj5phvfd51zbh6v6cpyqqgxc-emacs-24.1
656 MB (current + 84MB)

emacs 24 with imagemagickBig and librsvg:
/nix/store/b9mph0fyh1sdx5xm0gpxbzwja99g5wwd-emacs-24.1
918 MB (current + 346MB)

doc-view with/without imagemagick
---------------------------------

Viewing a pdf first with the imagemagick version, the optical result
is bad (especially when zooming in). Opening/closing, navigating around
does not change that.

Viewing then without imagemagick, the optical result is good. Zooming in
still yields nicely rendered vector fonts. Also emacs remembers the zoom
level of the file (this is not the case with imagemagick).

Now the weird part: opening with imagemagick again, the optical quality
is the same as without it. It seems that previews were stored somewhere.

@Ludo: any ideas? Where did you see performance differences?

My conclusion
-------------

The overhead for librsvg is rather small and it enables [1]. I'd like to
enable it by default.

I don't mind the additional 81MB for imagemagick, as I already use
inkscape which also needs it. But at the moment, I think I would disable
imagemagick, if it would be the default, as from what I saw emacs24
doc-view performs better without it.

Is emacs24 with or without imagemagick better (independent of size)?

In case of "with imagemagick", does it justify 81MB?

regards
florian

[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsSvg
--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC