[Nix-dev] "Platform indepent installer" hardcodes /bin/chmod

Bryce L Nordgren bnordgren at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 16:09:33 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Lluís Batlle i Rossell
<viric at viric.name>wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:28:48AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Bryce L Nordgren <bnordgren at gmail.com> skribis:
> >
> > > But it seems that the java-based installer hardcodes /bin/chmod
> instead of
> > > using $PATH. (error follows).  Therefore most of the scripts are not
> > > executable.
> > >
> > > Is there a recommended workaround?
> >
> > Yes, run ‘sed’ over the source files to replace “/bin/chmod” by “chmod”.

The installer is a compiled java jarfile.

> I understood that this would mean to rebuild the java installer. So, how
> about
> rebuilding a fixed java installer? :)

I believe rebuilding the installer is indeed what would be required. The
installer isn't even part of geonetwork: it's at http://izpack.org .  So,
after fixing the installer, I'd also have to repackage the application for
the installer. Presumably, any java software choosing to use izpack will be
broken on nixos.

I was just checking for some ez linking solution before I spent too much
time on something too complicated. :)

Thanks,
Bryce