[Nix-dev] No gcc-x.y symlinks?

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viric at viric.name
Sat Jun 9 17:32:43 CEST 2012

On Sat, Jun 09, 2012 at 05:55:37PM +0300, Ilja Honkonen wrote:
> Hello
>
> It doesn't seem to be possible to easily use multiple versions of gcc
> simultaneously. Versioned symlinks are created in the store but not in
> the user's environment so only one version of gcc is available in the path.
> Could the symlinks be added for example to the gcc-wrapper package (and
> into ~/.nix-profile/bin/)? I tried to modify the wrapper's builder.sh
> but gcc version doesn't seem to be available there.

That'd mean a stdenv rebuild. We could change that on stdenv-updates (or with
some new git way of doing that), if anyone seconds that need.

Nevertheless, you can try different gcc's simply by changing your PATH. You
could even have a derivation that takes the 'gcc' as input, and prepares
those symlinks you want. Then you install into your profile that derivation, and
not the gcc in nixpkgs directly.

Then, you can also use misc.myEnv to have different environments with different
settings.

As for me, I think that the current possibilities are already enough. :)

Regards,
Lluís.