[Nix-dev] Git migration progress

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Tue Jun 5 19:17:34 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I've now moved the Nixpkgs/NixOS Git repositories to the NixOS organisation on
GitHub:

- https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs
- https://github.com/NixOS/nixos

(Actually I deleted the ones on my GitHub account and recreated them in the
NixOS organisation.  This was necessary because I forgot to run "git gc
--aggressive" before pushing them originally.  This caused Nixpkgs clones to be
~300 MB instead of ~80 MB.)

The Git repositories are still write-only and updated semi-automatically from
the Subversion repository.  However, Hydra now builds Nixpkgs and NixOS from the
Git repositories, so we have releases like

  http://nixos.org/releases/nixpkgs/nixpkgs-1.0pre19674_27bef25/
  http://nixos.org/releases/nixos/nixos-0.1pre3730_f2a3380-797fafd/

Note that I bumped the version number of Nixpkgs from 0.14 to 1.0 to ensure that
version numbers don't go backwards.  (The Git pre-release version number is
lower than the Subversion equivalent because it only includes Nixpkgs commits.)

The command "nixos-checkout" fetches the GitHub repositories.

Within a few days I'll disable the Nixpkgs/NixOS trees in Subversion (somehow)
and stop mirroring it to the GitHub repositories.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://www.st.ewi.tudelft.nl/~dolstra/