[Nix-dev] Git conversion of NixOS and Nixpkgs

Michel Alexandre Salim michel at sylvestre.me
Sat Jun 2 06:47:05 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 05/29/2012 04:02 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Michel Alexandre Salim <michel at sylvestre.me> skribis:
>
>> will you require contributors to have Github accounts in the
>> future if they want to be able to commit to nixpkgs directly?
>
> That wouldn’t scale well, and there’d probably be lots of merge
> commits if everyone can push, leading to a needlessly twisted
> history.

As I understand it, since the NixOS account on Github is an
"organization", not a normal user, team management features are
available -- so instead of everyone having to push, everyone currently
granted direct access to SVN could just have their GitHub account given
the right permission to the right project under NixOS:

  https://github.com/features/projects

It does require people sign up to GitHub though.

> Having Eelco have to approve every single commit would avoid that,
> but it wouldn’t scale well.  ;-)
>
> So it would be great if something similar to the Patch Queue
> Manager (PQM) of Arch/Bazaar could be used.  And eventually some
> sort of PQM coupled to Hydra, which would merge iff nothing
> breaks.

There's Gerrit, which we can probably use for this (Google uses it to
manage their Android source tree). You can require commits to be
reviewed and signed before they get merged -- and then have Gerrit push
to the GitHub public repos. It's a Java web application though, and
(AFAIR) uses JGit instead of the normal git so I'm not sure if the
latest Git features are supported.

Might be overkill if GitHub's team management features are sufficient.
I've never managed a GitHub organization before so I can't say much on
this. The five members in https://github.com/NixOS likely know more.

- --
Michel Alexandre Salim
µblog:      http://identi.ca/hircus