[Nix-dev] [Nix-commits] [NixOS/nixpkgs] bf7467: Add first attempt at linux/kernel/manual-config.

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Sun Jul 29 19:54:12 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 29/07/12 10:41, Shea Levy wrote:

>> Could you say a bit more about what this means and what the advantages
>> are?
>
> Basically, it allows you to build a kernel after configuring it with the
> official kernel config mechanisms (e.g. make menuconfig) rather than using
> our automated system. By trying to make as many options modular as possible,
> the standard system is great for general use, but some users (e.g. me) may
> not want or need all those modules and may prefer to configure their kernels
> the traditional way.

I imagine this could be done by adding an argument to the standard generic
kernel builder to completely override the kernel config?

> The feature autodetection is a big plus as well, as hopefully it will enable
> NixOS to fail early if the kernel doesn't do enough for a given module to
> work.

That's pretty cool.

>> Unfortunately using an import from a derivation means this shouldn't be in
>> Nixpkgs right now.  Won't this cause a build when I do "nix-env -qas"?
>
> No, since the attribute in nixpkgs is a function, not a derivation. The
> import-from-derivation is only triggered when you call the function with your
> config and kernel source, and if it's not desired then then you can pass in
> features yourself as well.

Ah, okay.  Then it's not a problem. :-)

> This was meant to be a supplement, not a replacement, so I thought there'd be
> little harm in having it in master, but I can revert the merge for now if you
> like.

No, it's fine.  I'm just somewhat concerned about experimental features in the
Nixpkgs master that might end up not being used/maintained.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/