[Nix-dev] (sudo (-H)) nix-collect-garbage

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Fri Jul 27 15:48:30 CEST 2012

Hi Marc,

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:41:48 +0200, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> before we start propagating any env vars can you make me understand why
> a user have a different value than "root"?
>
> If does this happen intenionally?
>
> Would exporting NIX_CONF_DIR in profile.sh (nixos repo) be an
> alternative? If so why is your solution better?

I took the approach already for other env vars (see sudoers) and for
NIX_DIR_CONF Eelco suggested to do the same.

But, I think we should have a deeper look at sudo, how it can be used
and how we are using it -> policy document.

The intersting bits are:
sudo foo
vs.
sudo -H foo
vs.
sudo -i foo

NIX_DIR_CONF is exported in /etc/profile, but this is not loaded except
for sudo -i.

I currently think that bringing certain env vars into the sudo env is
the correct way, but I'd appreciate other opinions on that.

regards
florian
--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC