[Nix-dev] How can we test changes before pushing them to master?

Bryce L Nordgren bnordgren at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 00:52:10 CEST 2012

If I could ask the dumb question...Certainly a particular build has only
one derivation (the "deriver" in the manifest), but can a derivation have
more than one build? I notice that "References" in the manifest refers to
other builds, not to other derivations. I assume there's a reason for the
distinction?

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Cillian de Róiste <
cillian.deroiste at gmail.com> wrote:

> > $ changed=$(diff l1 l2 | awk '{print $2}' | sort | uniq)
>
> Thanks! This works very well. I've added it to the wiki:
> https://nixos.org/wiki/Contributing

This will have duplicates. If a derivation has changed, diff will list both
the original (which you don't want to/may not be able to rebuild) and the
replacement (which you do). I believe what you really want is lines unique
to the second file:

$ changed=$(comm -13 l1 l2 | awk '{print $2}' | sort | uniq)