[Nix-dev] nixos/nixpkgs release tags?

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 05:15:55 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 17:29:43 -0400, Eelco Dolstra <eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 12/06/12 17:26, Florian Friesdorf wrote:
>>
>> > I have some local changes that are not in a state to be committed yet,
>> > but I'd like to use them already, so I have to patch nixos/nixpkgs. Also
>> > I'd like to be as close to the channel versions as possible.
>> >
>> > Are there / could there be tags on github to indicate the latest
>> > nixos/nixpkgs versions in the channel?
>>
>> Not currently, but it's on the TODO list.
>
> Script that extracts the revisions from a channels nixos/svn_revision
> file and create tags in nixos/nixpkgs repos (subdir of current dir):
>
> https://github.com/chaoflow/skel/blob/master/bin/create_tags_from_nixos_channel.sh
>

> I use it:
>
> % sudo -H nix-channel --update
> % cd dev/nixos
> % (cd nixos && git pull --rebase)
> % (cd nixpkgs && git pull --rebase)
> % create_tags_from_nixos_channel.sh

I like the idea, but tag is the wrong git concept for non-release
channels.  You should prefer a branch which is reset to the latest
commit instead of a tag.

instead of « git tag name », I will recommend « git update-ref
refs/heads/latest-channel /sha1/ ».

--
Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron - http://nbp.name/