[Nix-dev] Umlauts in NixOS

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Wed Jul 11 20:53:22 CEST 2012

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 10:56:49 +0200, Alexander Foremny <alexanderforemny at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am struggling with a few minor issues in NixOS and finally want to
> ask how to solve them. My problem is that German umlauts are not fully
> working.
>
> I can type umlauts in X11 applications and they get displayed
> correctly. I cannot type umlauts in X11 terminal applications and they
> don't get displayed correctly. The same applies to the console.
>
> I am using xterm as terminal application and zsh as user shell. Here
> is some output I consider relevant to this issue.
>
> > $ cat /etc/nixos/configuration.nix | grep -A 8 i18n
> >  i18n = {
> >    consoleFont = "lat9w-16";
> >    consoleKeyMap = "de-latin1-nodeadkeys";
> >    defaultLocale = "de_DE.UTF-8";
> >    supportedLocales = [ "de_DE.UTF-8" "en_US.UTF-8" ];
> >  };

Umlauts work fine for me, but I don't use supportedLocales [1] and
en_US.UTF-8 instead of de_DE.UTF-8, the latter should not make a
difference wrt to umlauts display.

regards
florian

[1] https://github.com/chaoflow/nixos-configurations/blob/master/configuration-eve.nix#L197
--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC