[Nix-dev] cleaning /tmp

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Sun Jan 29 21:28:38 CET 2012

Hi all,

After a reboot, I found that my /tmp is taking up 8Gb of space.
I don't want to use a tmpfs for it, as I occasionally use audio/video
tools that write to /tmp, with sizes above my system memory.

Looking at FHS's recommendations, I would say there are 2 moments to clean /tmp.
- At boot time (almost) everything can be deleted.
- For systems that don't reboot often (servers, laptops that just
suspend instead of shut down), a daily cron job can delete items older
than (2 weeks / a month).

Does nixos have anything in place to manage /tmp?
What do others do?

Thanks,
Mathijs