[Nix-dev] Updating emacs-snapshot package

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Thu Jan 19 23:40:41 CET 2012

Hi Ludovic,

 >> I'm using emacs and I'd also like to see prerelease versions of 24 in Nix.
 >
 > I’ve been using Emacs 24 from [Hydra]. Would it work for you?

that package is not available in Nix -- it's available from only Hydra.
Unless I am mistaken, it cannot be installed with "nix-env", and it
won't be updated automatically when installed in a profile. Furthermore,
Hydra packages don't work at all for people who have a store path other
than /nix.

I would be very much in favor of simply updating the emacsSnapshot that
we have in Nix. For those who need continuously integrated by-the-minute
snapshots of Emacs, the Hydra expression is great, but that is not for
everyone.

Take care,
Peter