[Nix-dev] More news about the nix-env crash

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Thu Jan 19 23:05:47 CET 2012

Hi,

On 01/19/2012 10:27 PM, Eelco Dolstra wrote:

> On 01/19/2012 10:23 PM, Mathijs Kwik wrote:
>
>> config.nix: https://gist.github.com/1642727
>
> Thanks, this gives me a segfault as well.  Will investigate.

The cause seems to be in some builderDefs code, which is doing an
equality check ("uniqList") on derivations.  That was always a bad idea
because it's extremely inefficient, but now it no longer works at all
because derivations have a self-reference ("drv.out" points back at
"drv").  This was added to support multiple derivation outputs.  Thus
uniqList tries to compare infinite data structures, leading to a stack
overflow.

I'll try to add a workaround.